During my 28 days of no sugar or sugar-like products (honey, molasses, agave, coconut sugar), I was surprised to find that some staples of the kitchen contained added sweeteners. Before this cleanse, I thought my sugar intake was probably pretty low already. And while my regular eating patterns are probably much lower in sugar than the typical American diet, I found that I had been inadvertently consuming far more sugar than I thought. Here’s a list of things that I found were off limits.
10 Surprising Foods That Contain Sugar
- Organic Vegetable Broth – contained 2 kinds of sugar!
- BBQ sauce
- Stir fry sauce
- Bread – even my homemade wheat bread does
- Canned beans – not even the “baked beans”, but just regular black beans or navy beans can contain added sugar or molasses
- Lasagna – prepackaged organic spinach lasagna that was served at a family event contained several types of sugar
- Gluten free cereal – there is literally no type of a gluten free cereal that does not contain some type of sweetener
- Coconut milk in a carton