This week, I was very inspired by this post by Green Moms Collective about self-care for moms. In the post, the writer encouraged us (even if we aren’t moms!) to make a list of things that make us feel renewed and happy, and even to write down how much time each of these activities take so that we can intentionally build them into our days. While this might sound unnecessarily detailed to some people, this approach sounds perfect for me! I loooove to multitask and I constantly have a list in my head and on my iPhone of various tasks that I mentally (and physically) arrange and re-arrange according to the length of time I have available and the length of time the task requires. So I thought I’d make a quick list of things I love to do and the amount of time I could allocate for them. Hopefully this will keep me accountable for actually taking breaks during the holiday season.
- Read: magazine (like Green Child Magazine, Real Simple Magazine, or Shape) – 30 min
- Read: book club book – 30 min
- Read: other peoples’ blogs – 5-30 min
- Read: bible/bible study – 30 min
- Take a detox bath with epsom salt/baking soda – 20 min
- Deep breathing – 1 min to 5 min
- Take a nap – 25 min
- Do a yoga vinyasa – 5-10 min
- Entire yoga workout (Ashtanga series, from online instructor, or ad lib) – 20-45 min
- Watch a TV something – 30 min
- Drinking tea – 5 min
- Eating something chocolate – 2 min
Well, that’s all that I could come up with off the top of my head, and I am realizing that unfortunately most of my “happy” things require at least 20-30 minutes. Which might explain why I never seem to have time to do what I enjoy. Who has 20-30 extra minutes?! Not me!