We tend to get a lot of kale from our CSA co-op, and even though I love some nice sauteed kale, I was getting a little burned out on it and a few times I had to throw it out because it went bad before I could use it. That always makes me sad.
Then I read an issue of Real Simple magazine (don’t ask me which one, I am so behind in my magazine-reading right now that I am still reading magazines from March) which contained this recipe for a kale apple smoothie.
I love it! This is my current favorite special drink and I make it several times a week!
If done correctly, it should look like this and be liquidy and smooth to drink (not chunky at all):
I have also found that if you leave out either the banana or the celery it does NOT taste as delicious.
Try it out!
Kale-Apple Smoothie from Real Simple
* 3/4 cup chopped kale, ribs and thick stems removed
* 1 small stalk celery, chopped
* 1/2 banana
* 1/2 cup apple juice
* 1/2 cup ice
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Place the kale, celery, banana, apple juice, ice, and lemon juice in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth and frothy.