It wasn’t originally a meme, but more of a question on BlogHer post by Maria Niles of PopConsumer, but I love it. I severely dislike those New Year’s resolution posts – I never make New Year’s resolutions anymore. Mostly because I have a terrible memory and less than halfway through the year I have forgotten what they were. But there are always things I “meant” to do!
- Start working out again. I have gone to Mome Yoga twice, but that is about it. I actually miss yoga a lot but have not figured out what to do with Little Sir in order to attend classes again. I also intended to walk around the block or down to the lake with Little Sir when it is still warm more often, but no. Have not done it. Have been washing and folding diapers and cloth wipes, cleaning the house, sleeping, sitting on the couch staring at him. I still have at least 11 lbs. to lose. I cannot stand the thought that I have 3 pairs of designer jeans that are rotting in my closet. I refuse to admit that I spent all that money on jeans I can no longer wear!!
- Write profound stuff on this blog. I admire the depth of posts that bloggers like Crunchy Domestic Goddess and SassyMonkey write. I admire the honesty of Bobbi Janay and Mommy Is Rock n Roll. Marjorie of My Inner French Girl and Chirky write so skillfully that it reads like art. But me? I slap a few pictures on the family blog and I just don’t really post much on this blog at all. I write beautiful blog posts in my head. They just never get to the internets. I have to admit that some of it is fear of what people will think. I know who reads this blog and I don’t want to offend anyone I know IRL (in real life). Shame on me.
- Go back to the orthodontist. When I was 25-27 years old, I dropped around $6K on braces primarily because I got tired of photoshopping my teeth in all pictures of myself. When Christian and I were married, my teeth were amazing. I have a retainer I was supposed to wear to keep them like that but, uh, lets just say I slacked off on that over the last 4 years. Finally this year I realized that I am back to photoshopping my teeth. There is one tooth that is crooked that has moved back. And this year I meant to call the orthodontist and set up an appointment to get that fixed. Have not done it.
- Get a new iPhone. I have the very first old skool iPhone. You know, back when they were obscenely expensive. I am still a little bitter about how much we paid for mine and now they are so comparatively cheap. I don’t have enough room for all my music in the 8MB it has, and it has the old-style input plug at the top that doesn’t work for the audio jack of our new Honda Fit. But I am cheap and I keep thinking we just shouldn’t spend the money. Also, I hear that GPS really drains the battery. I don’t have that problem with my current phone!
- Blog more often. This sounds a lot like #2 but there’s a difference. Sometimes I feel like these 2 things are in conflict – quantity vs. quality. I’ve considered doing NaBloPoMo, but I’ve also noticed that some bloggers who participate in this challenge to blog every single day for a month suffer from a noticeable decrease in the quality of their posts. I really don’t want to do that to ya’ll. If I’m going to blog, I feel like I should have something to say, and say it well. Not just resort to talking about what I had for breakfast just because I ran out of things to say (although I did do a post about Malt-O-Meal once, that was for a good reason!). So I haven’t committed to NaBloPoMo or posted as frequently as I probably should.
So, there you go. Things I meant to do. Just to be clear, this doesn’t mean I’m necessarily going to do these things in 2010, just that I will probably continue to intend to do them…someday…
Happy New Year!